Caregiving and Preparing takes many forms.
Alzheimer's Support Group
The LGBT Health Resource Center now offers an Alzheimer's diease support group to provide resouces, counseling, and comfort to LGBT individuals who are either affected by Alzheimer's disease, or caring for someone who is. The group meets from 1 PM to 2:30 PM on the fourth Wednesday of each month at Chase Brexton's Mt. Vernon Center, 1111 N. Charles St. in Baltimore.
For more information on this and other groups and programs, contact the LGBT Health Resource Center at 410-837-2050 x1107 or email@example.com
The LGBT Health Resource Center of Chase Brexton offers a safe and welcoming community designed to help LGBT caregivers navigate their current and future needs. While they provide care to a loved one, our team supports them, and in turn helps them prepare for a time in their life when they may need care.
Whether it’s escorting someone to a medical appointment or making sure legal or financial paperwork is all in order, providing support for a loved one can sometimes feel overwhelming. LGBT individuals may face even greater challenges due to a lack of resources in the community, as well as laws and policies that put biological families first.
Why is informal caregiving an important part of LGBT aging?
- Many LGBT older adults have strained or estranged relationships with their families of origin
- Families of choice are not often legally recognized
- 1 in 4 LGBT adults will become an informal caregiver in their lifetime
- LGBT people often forgo health care/support due to subtle and explicit forms of discrimination
- Many LGBT people are caring for one another as they are aging themselves, intensifying the need for resources and support
LGBT Caregiver Support Groups are held every 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month from 10:30am-12:00pm.
Whether you are a caregiver who identifies as part of the LGBT community or you care for a loved one who is LGBT, we are here for you. The support group meets in the conference room in the LGBT Health Resource Center, located on the 5th floor of Chase Brexton’s Mount Vernon Center.
If you would like additional support and need a safe space to talk about your feelings and emotions around caregiving, please contact the LGBT Health Resource Center at 410-837-2050 x1107 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional free one-on-one counseling services.
- We supports informal caregivers who identify as LGBT themselves and/or care for someone who is LGBT.
- Some services are available directly to LGBT people over the age of 50.
- You do not need to be a patient of Chase Brexton to take advantage of our services.
We are all aging... and whether we're the caregiver now or will be the one in need of care, we can help you prepare for the future in ways that affirm and support you as an LGBT-identified person.
Monthly Lunch and Learn Workshops are available for LGBT adults over 50 and caregivers. Workshops are held the second Thursday of each month from 12 pm-1:30 pm in the large community room at Chase Brexton’s Mount Vernon Center. Please RSVP by calling 410-837-2050 x1107 or email at email@example.com.
If you would like one-on-one assistance navigating your healthcare, legal or financial issues, or would like assistance with information and referrals to outside organizations, please make an appointment with us today.